Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: SPP help

Thanks for the reply Nik...What total volume should I aim to do during SPP? Would it be as mentioned before 600m-1500m or was that for a athlete with not much years of training behind them? I was planning on using 2x10x100m twice a week in 17sec 100m pace. Press ups at 15r and sit ups at 50r every other run with a walk back on every rep recovery.Thoughts?

I don't think there is a serious reason for reducing the tempo volume -I mean, for a training element being used from day one, it shouldn't cause any negatives to the rest of the training plan (you should have realised it by now). If other issues arise, of course (e.g., niggles getting worse rather than better via tempo from the pounding and the repetitive nature of it), then you can adjust and/or move to a milder activity (while paying attention and fixing that issue). In the post-SPP period and in-season you react based on your highest priorities (e.g., speed, being rested, competitive preparedness). Perhaps then activities such as the ones you describe between runs start having more value, i.e., similar effects to tempo giving more rest on lower body at the same time via a reduced tempo volume as needed.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Great response Nik. Having reduced the pace of the tempo to 18 sec runs leaves me feeling very fresh and not battered. As Charlie always told me the tempo day is low intensity with no real emphasis on speed or technique. The high number of abs (50r)ive prescribed my self at the end of a set are purely done because Im too lazy/tired to do them at the end of a work out.

Whatever suits you; the job is done either way.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle