Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TENS UNITS?

TENS UNITS?

Whats the difference between a TENS and EMS unit? is TENS of any benifit?
    the specific one i am tlaking about is the "comfort-stim".

http://www.comforttechnologies.com/?stimulators

????

I'm not an expert, but I believe that TENS is more focused on pain relief. EMS is for building strength.

xlr8

My understanding is the same - tens is for pain relief and is used by many therapists for pain relief only.

thats what i though so basically unless i had an injury i would benefit.

Yes,
    I've used tens and sure it works, but if I was buying one I'd try and see if I could get a Tens function on an EMS kit.

TENS:
    Transcutaneous
    Electrical
    Neuromuscular
    Simulation

EMS:
    Electical
    Muscular
    Stimulation

Any time a stim machine passes a current accross the skin (transcutaneously) it is a TENS machine. Not all TENS machines are EMS machines though. In order for it to be an EMS machine it must elicite a muscular contraction. Some TENS machines do not. For instance transcranial (across the skull) and mirocurrent generators are both TENS machines but neither is an EMS machine. Both can be used as a theraputic modality depending on the regime applyed. I hope this helps.

TENS rules

I was injured for over an year with various injuries so I became very familiar with all the good stuff around the kinesiologists room. TENS rules when you get something like a slight muscle pull, you go into the session, put it on for 15 minutes and it's like untying a knot, you come out and the slight pull is, voila! - fixed. Lol, I must admit I was an addict to it .. ok let me rewind a bit, my original injury was condromalacia pattellae .. but this was due to the fact my left quadriceps had atrophied after an year of inactivity .. so in my recovery process I would pull my quad every couple of weeks till I finally built up its strength and flexibilty again. This is where the TENS would kick in - quad or hammie or calf pull during my super light bike/running or weights session and right after I'd go in (my kinesio is in a club, so I'd go to the gym right before) have the TENS and come out like new. Damn, I really grew to love that thing, the immediate strained/pulled muscle fix.

when you appplied this to those slight pulls what did the treatment feel like?

A thumping heartbeat to the area or a constant buzz and how intense?

Im still trying to figure out how to use my EMS for recovery.
    I dont know what it should feel like.

Arrow

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
    when you appplied this to those slight pulls what did the treatment feel like?

A thumping heartbeat to the area or a constant buzz and how intense?

Im still trying to figure out how to use my EMS for recovery.
    I dont know what it should feel like.
    It was set to the pulsating buzz .. no idea what exact intensity it was marking as I never looked, I wasn't the one setting the TENS up. Actually it starts as relatively quick pulsating buzz then as the minutes go by you feel the pulse less each time, not sure if it was the TENS malfunction or just how it goes, I remember most of the time we'd slightly increase the intensity mid session or so when it felt it was dying down. Sorry about the lack of exact numbers/intensities .. hope this helps. Heh, anyway, I'm sure you'll notice how intense you can put it, if you go too intense there's no way you won't notice it's too intense the main thing is that you have to know how to put the little pads, they have to go in the right place to untie the knot you want untied. When it's in the right place you'll feel the muscle in question stretching and contracting alone in the right place.