Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 105

Thread: Ben's Max Squat

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by CLJACKSON04
    Thing is this narrow view of lifting does not pertain to the discussion. Heavy weights do not in and of themselves translate to faster sprinting times. In fact the majority of elite sprinters do not have impressive numbers in the weightroom. Therefore it is not a matter of overcoming one's fear of heavy weight (I shutter just think of the idea), but rather how do you syncronize and maximize a variety of training variables in order to run faster, one of which is weights.
    I think that the numbers are impressive for athletes who don't devote much time to weight room. This is only possible because fast sprint times translate to heavier weights, and vice versa. One of the sprinters i train started weights at 21 yo and within a few month was able to half squat 200kg pretty easely, with 1 squat workout a week, and not every week. We stopped at 200 for safety reasons, could have done at least 250). This is possible if you adopt a holistic approach which take in account all the other training elements (especially short sprints at WR level) which "support" the weight training.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrejean
    I think that the numbers are impressive for athletes who don't devote much time to weight room. This is only possible because fast sprint times translate to heavier weights, and vice versa. One of the sprinters i train started weights at 21 yo and within a few month was able to half squat 200kg pretty easely, with 1 squat workout a week, and not every week. We stopped at 200 for safety reasons, could have done at least 250). This is possible if you adopt a holistic approach which take in account all the other training elements (especially short sprints at WR level) which "support" the weight training.
    Going round and round here (sorry pope). I would be fascinated to see a sprinter squat at least 250kg for even one rep. The only people I have seen squat 500+ with good form below 200lbs are national/world caliber olympic weightlifters.

  3. #63
    I don't think PJ talks about deep squat, if that helps. I may be wrong.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by mortac8
    Going round and round here (sorry pope). I would be fascinated to see a sprinter squat at least 250kg for even one rep. The only people I have seen squat 500+ with good form below 200lbs are national/world caliber olympic weightlifters.
    When you say squat 500, do you mean full squat? or half squat?

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by adbrauner
    When you say squat 500, do you mean full squat? or half squat?
    Define half squat because I watched a video from one of the top throws coaches and the athletes weren't even going to parallel, yet called the squats "deep." Yeah, they were lifting a shtload, but they weren't going to parallel even. That is fine if the program is designed that way, but it really misleads everybody else.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Davan
    Did you even read Charlie's posts? He made it clear that they did not use lower reps (<6)/ heavier weight to develop the strength. I believe, and charlie can clear this up, that he did use lower reps to maintain, but the weight was easily within the 6RM.
    So what you are suggesting is that Ben never went to intensities above 6 RM (around 85% of 1RM) in the squat through all of the MaxS cycles during his whole athletic career?!?

  7. #67
    I know what you mean Davan. I consider crease of hip parallel to knee cap is half squat.

    Not to say that one squat is right or wrong but when discussing squats I think this is the type that people should refer to as it seems to be the most used. Or at least most attempted.

    I remember in highschool for football testing I squatted like "315 x6" and could have done 10-12 or something but I wanted to just do more weight and we ran out of time. Yet in retrospect, I probably couldn't have half squatted 295-315x1. And some of the guys on my team got reps taken away because they didn't go "low enough" yet "adbrauner went low enough"! lol how high must have theirs' been! These are our football coaches all over, sanctioning such blasphemy.

    In recent years, I used to always use a box for my squats as I was a stickler for consistency in depth. A problem with my gym has forced me to go to free half squats now though. I think I go too low, but talk on the internet is cheap.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by explosivepower
    So what you are suggesting is that Ben never went to intensities above 6 RM (around 85% of 1RM) in the squat through all of the MaxS cycles during his whole athletic career?!?
    Why don't you read what his own coach says and then decide what you want to believe?

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Davan
    Why don't you read what his own coach says and then decide what you want to believe?
    I have, and don't think that Charlie was saying what you read into it, ie that weights above 6RM (85% 1RM) were NEVER used in MaxS cycles throughout Ben's whole career. I believe what Charlie was saying is that during the later stages, Ben became so strong that he had to place a ceiling on the weights (both for safety and effect on intensification of sprinting) and the squat was stopped at 600 lbs at 6RM. I do believe from reading Speedtrap, CFTS (chapter by Tudor Bompa), all of Charlies other materials and much of Tudor's work that Ben did use weights above 6RM during the earlier MaxS phases of his career (particularly prior to 1985).

    People shouldn't walk away from this thread thinking that MaxS cycles for a sprinter MUST be above 6 reps (< 85% 1RM)!!! Traditional MaxS (including intensities above 6RM) is an important training tool. Notwithstanding at higher levels it may need to be adjusted/capped for continuing intensification on the track.

  10. #70
    i think misinterpretation is with the safety issue. different strokes for different folks, this depends on the level of the athlete as well. when you're weaker, lower reps may be appropriate, when youre stronger more pre cautions have to be taken, such as focusing on increasing breadth (volume) rather than intensity (weight) to an extent that still hits maximal strength.

Similar Threads

  1. Singapore 2010 launches the Million Deeds Challenge
    By Rupert in forum Olympic Updates
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
  2. Bolt - 9.93
    By Sevastocrator in forum In the News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 09:24 AM
  3. Linz Austria Indoor Meet
    By Carson in forum Discussion Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 03:44 AM
  4. Fat loss
    By maris in forum Nutrition Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM
  5. Ben Johnson memorabilia
    By lumberjack2051 in forum Forum Archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •