Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben's Max Squat

Quote Originally Posted by SkillaStaz
    Who says he NEVER used reps lower than 6?

If you're form is solid, there isn't really any "safer" rep range. More strength at lower reps. My squats usually range between 3-5.

PR 315x3. Working on going lower today.
    He just never worked heavier than his 6rm

i think it depends on what you're comfortable with and your level of strength. ben was a sprinter, sprinting came first, strength second, so it was in their opinion that loads beyond a 6RM were unsafe. As well you have to take into account the CNS implications of doing near 2RM versus near 6RM. Loading up heavy for 6 reps is fine to build strength, throwing in heavy sets of three in the third or fourth week to test out strength is not a bad idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by numba56
    i think it depends on what you're comfortable with and your level of strength. ben was a sprinter, sprinting came first, strength second, so it was in their opinion that loads beyond a 6RM were unsafe. As well you have to take into account the CNS implications of doing near 2RM versus near 6RM. Loading up heavy for 6 reps is fine to build strength, throwing in heavy sets of three in the third or fourth week to test out strength is not a bad idea either.
    The heavier the athlete is lifting already, the more you might consider where the limits should be placed. this is the same principal thet we used when we decided to drop the deads. CNS implications will always be height (intensity/weight) vs breadth (reps).
    As intensity rises exponentially while breadth is linear, the highest CNS stimulus will always be generated by lower RM numbers, with safety as the guide.
    This is why we went relatively heavier in the bench, which is safer.

Charlie, at what point in Ben's training did you drop deadlifts and how long were they included in his strength program? What were the loading parameters? In addition, I'm confirming that I will be flying into Toronto on Monday morning, December 11th and should be able to stay through Thursday.

correct me if i am wrong but wasnt bens 600+ for 6 reps squat only a half squat.

Def. not full because that is what the olympic SHW guys are doing lol. I believe charlie has said they were to parallel (half squats).

Charlie--

How strong was Tim when he was running those blazing 60s? He seems like a small guy, but who knows. I know you have said at some point Marion wasn't a stand out in the weight room.

Quote Originally Posted by vision1
    Thanks Martn

I've been using a periodization for my main four lifts like this:

W1: Figure out 3 rep max + assistant lifts (4 days)

W2: 6x3 + assistant lifts (4 days)

W3: 4x5 + assistant lifts (4 days)

W4: 3x8 + assistant lifts (4 days)

W5: re-test 3RM, NO assistant lifts (2 days)

The only problem is I've been ending up testing 1RM on my fifth week, and I end up with cracking joints afterwards for a week (definately a bad sign).

I've decided to have a reps at: 6x4, 4x6, 3x8. I'm also going to stick to testing 4RM instead of going lower. I've gotten carried away with numbers, and I've got to stop.

Does this sound like I'll get enough max strength without the higher chance of injuries?

Thanks again

You may well be better suited to increasing the rep ranges. Maybe 5, 6 and 8 reps will do?

Remember that the ends of your joints are probably not fully boney yet so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomlinson
    Charlie, at what point in Ben's training did you drop deadlifts and how long were they included in his strength program? What were the loading parameters? In addition, I'm confirming that I will be flying into Toronto on Monday morning, December 11th and should be able to stay through Thursday.
    We dropped the deads after 1984, as he was over 500lbs at that time and would only be going up. He'd done an extensive lifting program for 4 years by then.
    I felt we could gain stimulus better through advancing the squat, which still had room to grow safely. Eventually, we had to grow the numbers at an assumed safe limit.
    I've said this before that other athletes have been very strong in the squat.
    While Ben broke parallel in the squat, he wasn't butt to the ground. Stan Floyd told me he contest lifted 675 but hurt his back doing it (confirming for me that I was right to be paranoid!). I assume Stan must also have gone deeper for the lift to count but I don't know.
    Please e-mail with your flight details asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Davan
    Charlie--

How strong was Tim when he was running those blazing 60s? He seems like a small guy, but who knows. I know you have said at some point Marion wasn't a stand out in the weight room.
    Tim was a good lifter for his weight but Marion was a modest lifter, especially the upper body.