Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Thread: Ben's Max Squat

  1. #1

    Ben's Max Squat

    I've read it was 2 sets of 6 with 600 lbs past parallel.

    My question is, Is there any reason for me to squat with lower reps than this? I could be wrong, but I'd guess its safer to use 6 reps than it is to use 2 with more weight.

    So if Ben never squated with lower reps than six, why should I?

    If it matters I'm 17 years old, 195 lbs, play lacrosse, and have a weak squat.

    Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by vision1
    I've read it was 2 sets of 6 with 600 lbs past parallel.

    My question is, Is there any reason for me to squat with lower reps than this? I could be wrong, but I'd guess its safer to use 6 reps than it is to use 2 with more weight.

    So if Ben never squated with lower reps than six, why should I?

    If it matters I'm 17 years old, 195 lbs, play lacrosse, and have a weak squat.

    Thanks for the help

    design a program for yourself, ben is a totally diff athlete then you

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by utfootball4
    design a program for yourself, ben is a totally diff athlete then you
    I know he is a different athlete, but if he could get that fast without ever using reps below 6, is there a reason I should need to? It just seems like a safer alternative.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by vision1
    I know he is a different athlete, but if he could get that fast without ever using reps below 6, is there a reason I should need to? It just seems like a safer alternative.
    he did do lower reps the 2x6 was done after he his max strength levels were high.. stop avoiding hard work - lift the weights.

  5. #5
    You have to remeber that Ben was squatting that much in his prime, so he had done all of the base work and worked up to that. You may have done a little base work but still need to work up to it. Its the same reason why elite sprinters need shorter gpp and beginners need longer gpp.

  6. #6
    Maximal strength is a very important factor in strength training. So doing sets of 1-5 reps are needed to help build maximal strength and get stronger ultimately.

    So don't try to avoid it, if you have a power rack at your gym, use it!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vision1
    I've read it was 2 sets of 6 with 600 lbs past parallel.

    My question is, Is there any reason for me to squat with lower reps than this? I could be wrong, but I'd guess its safer to use 6 reps than it is to use 2 with more weight.

    So if Ben never squated with lower reps than six, why should I?

    If it matters I'm 17 years old, 195 lbs, play lacrosse, and have a weak squat.

    Thanks for the help
    6 reps would be safer as you say, But the max strength gains will not be as high as doing two reps with a bigger weight.

    6 reps would be preferable if you have no spotter.

    Is your squat weak compared to your peers, or weak compared to Ben's? I think anybody age 17 is going to have a weak squat compared to adults with years of training behind them.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG109
    6 reps would be safer as you say, But the max strength gains will not be as high as doing two reps with a bigger weight.

    6 reps would be preferable if you have no spotter.

    Is your squat weak compared to your peers, or weak compared to Ben's? I think anybody age 17 is going to have a weak squat compared to adults with years of training behind them.
    Well it seems strong compared to my gym (YMCA). But compared to everyone on the internet, it's shit.

    My max is probably in the mid 200's (past parallel).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vision1
    Well it seems strong compared to my gym (YMCA). But compared to everyone on the internet, it's shit.

    My max is probably in the mid 200's (past parallel).
    At age 17 assume that you are still growing or maturing (more than likely that you are) you DO NOT have to train with heavy weights to gain max strength at that age as the growth will ensure development in the max strength realm. Build the capacity for lifting heavy by doing 4,5,6 reps with the occasional forays into the doubles and triples domain. Your natural growth and hormonal development will take care of the max strength gains. Incidently, 4-6 reps ARE submax but you have many years ahead of you to max out and and do triples and doubles and the OCCASIONAL 1 rep. Aim for doubles and triples at 19 years and onwards.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by martn76
    At age 17 assume that you are still growing or maturing (more than likely that you are) you DO NOT have to train with heavy weights to gain max strength at that age as the growth will ensure development in the max strength realm. Build the capacity for lifting heavy by doing 4,5,6 reps with the occasional forays into the doubles and triples domain. Your natural growth and hormonal development will take care of the max strength gains. Incidently, 4-6 reps ARE submax but you have many years ahead of you to max out and and do triples and doubles and the OCCASIONAL 1 rep. Aim for doubles and triples at 19 years and onwards.

    sounds like excellent advice

Similar Threads

  1. Singapore 2010 launches the Million Deeds Challenge
    By Rupert in forum Olympic Updates
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
  2. Bolt - 9.93
    By Sevastocrator in forum In the News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 09:24 AM
  3. Linz Austria Indoor Meet
    By Carson in forum Discussion Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 03:44 AM
  4. Fat loss
    By maris in forum Nutrition Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM
  5. Ben Johnson memorabilia
    By lumberjack2051 in forum Forum Archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •