Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Anyone else hear the comment on Ted Ginn's speed?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801

    Anyone else hear the comment on Ted Ginn's speed?

    The announcers of the OSU/MSU game quoted OSU speed coach(and of course former 400m world record holder) Butch Reynolds when asked how fast Ted Ginn is. He said "he can maintain speed in excess of 27 mph." I believe that was the quote. Not sure but I don't believe that is likely an accurate statement. If he could achieve that peak, I wonder what his definition of maintaining speed is?

    Anyone know what a .83 or even a .81 100m split might equate to(fastest known to have been achieved, BJ, etc.) ? Still, a 27mph peak would not likely be over an entire 10m split but exist rather as an instantaneuous point. Opinions?

  2. #2
    thats at minimum a .828sec 10m split. i call pics or shens.

    multiply the 27 by the meters in a mile(1610 for simplicity) and divide it by the seconds in an hour(3600). and then that gives u the "speed" in mps. and you divde 10(meters) by that supposed speed and that gives u a 10 meter split.

    the ted ginn crap makes me sick.

    this reminds me of a espn the maginze feature circa 2004 where his father said that it wasn't out of the relm of possiblity for him to make bejing in the 110's. he lost 4 times in the 110's his senior year in high school and several more times on the 4x100. he had a 110's pr of like 13.5 then.

  3. #3
    according to the announcers you would think that Ted Ginn runs 8.77.

  4. #4
    Does he run OSU track?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by ku2u
    Does he run OSU track?
    I don't think so. I think there was some kind of falling out with Ginn sr. and the head coach at the time-Russ Rogers?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by mortac8
    according to the announcers you would think that Ted Ginn runs 8.77.
    One of my favorite cliche football comments(actually it's very annoying) is when a team reports a certain guy having an especially fast fourty time and the annoucers proclaim the player in question as "having world class speed." How would they know what a world class fourty would be? They would not even know what a world class 100m would look like.

  7. #7
    Along the "broadcasters suck" category, I was watching a Giants game last year and the broadcaster said Tiki Barber squats over 900 pounds.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer
    The announcers of the OSU/MSU game quoted OSU speed coach(and of course former 400m world record holder) Butch Reynolds when asked how fast Ted Ginn is. He said "he can maintain speed in excess of 27 mph." I believe that was the quote. Not sure but I don't believe that is likely an accurate statement. If he could achieve that peak, I wonder what his definition of maintaining speed is?

    Anyone know what a .83 or even a .81 100m split might equate to(fastest known to have been achieved, BJ, etc.) ? Still, a 27mph peak would not likely be over an entire 10m split but exist rather as an instantaneuous point. Opinions?
    I think Reynolds could be talking about high speed treadmill running which reynolds himself used to use at speeds around 27mph if my memory serves me correctly.

    We all know that treadmill running cannot be compared to track running, and although it didn't seem to do Reynolds any harm (400m WR), surely if he could achieve such speeds on the track he would have competed over 100m, 200m and 400m.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by adbrauner
    Along the "broadcasters suck" category, I was watching a Giants game last year and the broadcaster said Tiki Barber squats over 900 pounds.
    They also said Donovan McNabb benches 500 (for reps I think).

  10. #10
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by mortac8
    They also said Donovan McNabb benches 500 (for reps I think).
    It's always the case that the most claims are made about the least verifiable.

Similar Threads

  1. David's Rugby Training Journal
    By David in forum My Training Journal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 09:34 PM
  2. Charlie
    By idealimage in forum Strength Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 12:20 AM
  3. STRETCHING HAMS
    By Sprrinter984 in forum Recovery and Regeneration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 10:14 PM
  4. How much stretching is to far?
    By cedclark in forum Advanced Sprint Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 09:12 PM
  5. Re-introducing SE
    By gloopzilla in forum Advanced Sprint Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 02:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •