Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fascial tretching & ART

Fascial tretching & ART

How does fascial stretching eg. Guy V methods etc, as in the most in the advanced section, compare to ART? ART seems more extensive

WSTRAINER just finished Guy's stretching seminar, so he's the best qualified person on the forum to answer your question regarding Guy's stretching methods, which are extremely complicated.

In general, stretching and manual work serve two different functions, although they complement each other very well. Stretching develops and maintains range of motion in the soft tissues and can also be used to normalize tension in those tissues. ART specifically breaks up adhesions in the myofascial structures that inhibit proper biomechanics and may have to be performed before proper stretching of the tissue can be executed.

Clemson
    ART in the US is billed per treatment and most of them last minutes. Chiros are the number one provider and if you enjoy forking 60 dollars per treatment watch out. Again things sound great on a forum but in the real world. I have nothing against ART since a few of my athletes have used Charlie and his therapy team to amazing results. But again charlie has a top notch group that treat injuries. Most therapist doing ART treat their wallets!

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson
    ART in the US is billed per treatment and most of them last minutes. Chiros are the number one provider and if you enjoy forking 60 dollars per treatment watch out. Again things sound great on a forum but in the real world. I have nothing against ART since a few of my athletes have used Charlie and his therapy team to amazing results. But again charlie has a top notch group that treat injuries. Most therapist doing ART treat their wallets!
    I have noticed that trend with ART as well. ART is often too expensive to be useful (unless you have some chiro friends).

Unfortunately, this brings up the distinction between the technical qualities of a treatment versus how it is administered in a real life clinical practice.

Try to find someone who practices myofascial release. Generally, massage therapists do this kind of work and they don't have the same in-and-out in 15 min. mentality as the ART people.

Clemson
    ART is very similar to STR and many massage therapists use Stewart's method. The amount of massage therapists using ART is very small and found only a few using it. Hell...Waldemar never used it and the results were good. Look for good therapists and keep ART as nice to have.

The point is not the therapy system, but find a skilled/expert therapist...

Quote Originally Posted by jamirok
    The point is not the therapy system, but find a skilled/expert therapist...
    If you wantto see what you should be looking for, get the Jane Project or Fundamentals DVDs to see therapy in action. No 5 min sessions there!

Charlie, I use STR/ART hybrid technique in my therapy session, muscles test, and other works.

I know well the power of "active" soft tissue release, but i've seen big result with rolfing, simple sport massage, deep tissue massage.

IMO, the point is find muscles imbalance, the technique is important, but often the therapist is the key.

(I've JP video and soon i'll take Fundamentals).

Someone else you should check out is Ann Frederick. She specializes in stretching, but her methods are also very effective at releasing adhesions.

http://www.stretchtowin.com/

About five and half years ago I went to a Charles Poliquin seminar and he told us about a soft tissue problem he had in his hip that nothing seemed capable of resolving, including ART. He went to see Ann and she stretched him and got the restriction to release.

This goes back to the original post regarding stretching and manual work. Needless to say, Ann's methods are not your typical stretching. But it also shows there are several ways to skin a cat.

Incidentally, Ann Frederick is writing a book that will be published by Human Kinetics. Right now it's scheduled for release at the beginning of the year. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=155M34PISSF3B