Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Focus on hip dominant lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    I agree with the reasoning, but it is the extension of the corrective model (where needed) until it becomes the end-all training in itself, rather than the means to the general work.
    Can you expand on this please, my bad english don't allow me to digest it very well.... It seems that the more smarter you are the less words you are using
    You wanted to say that auxilary single leg should be used only whre there is a need? Imbalances (serious ones), platoues?

You made this post today but you must have been thinking about it yesterday- cause that's when we had the problem!!
    I noticed some problems with the site... I must have been thinking on "666" somewhere in back of my mind... ...dark mind

Quote Originally Posted by duxx
    Can you expand on this please, my bad english don't allow me to digest it very well.... It seems that the more smarter you are the less words you are using
    You wanted to say that auxilary single leg should be used only whre there is a need? Imbalances (serious ones), platoues?
    That's right- see you're smarter than me, so you needed less words

Banned
    "Single leg work with heavy weights is an injury risk. What's the point of combining strength and balance work? I could do power cleans on a skateboard at the top of a flight of stairs... does that make my agility better?[/QUOTE]

Good job of taking the debate out of context!

EVERYONE has some type of muscle imbalance front/back or right/left. EVERYONE has some type of Mobility imbalance and EVERYONE has some type of Stability imbalance (Which can be greatly exaggerated by whats done in the weight room). The key is to see the whole picture from the coaches point of view and correct any of these first and foremost. Most athletes on this site have little or no access to any forms of recovery that are used by elite level athletes and must therefore get rid of any weak link along the chain.

Single Limb lifts can work very well for an up and coming athlete while at the same time provide a "General strengthening of the Organism". Research has shown that a crossover does occur from the limb working to the rest of the body. But hey..enjoy being "General" and make damn sure everything else is in place and nothings been sacrificed..which will be highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincente
    "Single leg work with heavy weights is an injury risk. What's the point of combining strength and balance work? I could do power cleans on a skateboard at the top of a flight of stairs... does that make my agility better?

EVERYONE has some type of muscle imbalance front/back or right/left. EVERYONE has some type of Mobility imbalance and EVERYONE has some type of Stability imbalance (Which can be greatly exaggerated by whats done in the weight room). The key is to see the whole picture from the coaches point of view and correct any of these first and foremost. Most athletes on this site have little or no access to any forms of recovery that are used by elite level athletes and must therefore get rid of any weak link along the chain.

Single Limb lifts can work very well for an up and coming athlete while at the same time provide a "General strengthening of the Organism". Research has shown that a crossover does occur from the limb working to the rest of the body. But hey..enjoy being "General" and make damn sure everything else is in place and nothings been sacrificed..which will be highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying and agree slightly. I give quite a few single leg exercises but for the dominant leg issue, it's a lot more complex than just do Step ups, lunges and 1 leg squats. There's still everything going on in your core and how it can stabilize the hips and everything from there. Most of the time people have issues with one tight hipflexor and the opposing glute/piriformis. These issues need to be dealt with first then retrain the body not to compensate so much then go back to the heavier lifts like the squat.

The fundamentals dvd goes into detail with that guy on the table and all his issues. You can imagine how messed up he'd be with 4 plates on his back and his right glute not firing properly.

Got to keep it as balanced as possible.

Banned
    "Got to keep it as balanced as possible."

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by coxy24
    ...I was using the trap bar for the deadlift workouts. Since I can lift more weight with the trap bar than in the conventional deadlift...
    Besides being able to move more weight, are there other advantages in using a trap bar here?

Quote Originally Posted by TMSSF
    Besides being able to move more weight, are there other advantages in using a trap bar here?
    Your body can be kept more upright for more quad recruitment.

I guess it depends on your goals.

That's right- see you're smarter than me, so you needed less words
    And how do you know you should start implenemting single leg/arm work? How do you know the disbalance is going on somewhere... Why to wait to happen, prevent it in advance by 1-2 single leg work... Altought I agree with Plook that imbalance are not solved by just doing single leg work....

I said single leg work is pointless. Big deal...

Single Limb lifts can work very well for an up and coming athlete while at the same time provide a "General strengthening of the Organism". Research has shown that a crossover does occur from the limb working to the rest of the body. But hey..enjoy being "General" and make damn sure everything else is in place and nothings been sacrificed..which will be highly unlikely.
    Sure you can gain strength from single limb movements. Agreed. You can do as many single arm bench presses as you want...