Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: How fast do you think I could go?

  1. #1

    How fast do you think I could go?

    I know this is an arbitrary question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

    I've never competed in track, but I'm starting my first season tomorrow. Given my bodyweight (170), and my strength numbers:

    Bench 255
    Low Box squat 395
    Snatch-grip DL 425
    sumo DL 520
    Powerclean 275

    How fast do you think I can potentially go in the 100m after 2 months of solid speed training?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by schnig42
    I know this is an arbitrary question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

    I've never competed in track, but I'm starting my first season tomorrow. Given my bodyweight (170), and my strength numbers:

    Bench 255
    Low Box squat 395
    Snatch-grip DL 425
    sumo DL 520
    Powerclean 275

    How fast do you think I can potentially go in the 100m after 2 months of solid speed training?
    Anywhere from 12.5 to 10.2
    The reason I am saying that is because I have seen people with thoese lifting numbers run in that rather large range.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by schnig42
    I know this is an arbitrary question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

    I've never competed in track, but I'm starting my first season tomorrow. Given my bodyweight (170), and my strength numbers:

    Bench 255
    Low Box squat 395
    Snatch-grip DL 425
    sumo DL 520
    Powerclean 275

    How fast do you think I can potentially go in the 100m after 2 months of solid speed training?
    I dont wanna sound like a jerk but your squat isnt all that great. (even for a 170 lb guy).

    I dont know how old you are but if you want to run sub 11 sec. sprints you will IMHO have to get your squat up.

    Your DL is pretty impressive though

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,515
    Here's what I am trying to understand and maybe somebody can inform me. What is so special about the squat as opposed to the deadlift?

    I squat regularly as I am doing what I have read and been told by many intelligent people is the best thing to do. The problem is, free squatting to parallel heavy tightens up my hips like none other, especially when done multiple times a week. To be honest, I see the deadlifts as a way not only to focus on posterior chain strength, but to also relieve some of the tightness woes faced from squats. I also see a lot more consistency in myself in the deadlift vs the squat (I may go from doing 335 for reps one week to using 295 and it being a struggle).

    Thoughts?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Davan
    Here's what I am trying to understand and maybe somebody can inform me. What is so special about the squat as opposed to the deadlift?

    I squat regularly as I am doing what I have read and been told by many intelligent people is the best thing to do. The problem is, free squatting to parallel heavy tightens up my hips like none other, especially when done multiple times a week. To be honest, I see the deadlifts as a way not only to focus on posterior chain strength, but to also relieve some of the tightness woes faced from squats. I also see a lot more consistency in myself in the deadlift vs the squat (I may go from doing 335 for reps one week to using 295 and it being a struggle).

    Thoughts?
    All I can tell you is that IMHO the squat is THE most important exercise for pretty much all sports. Football, soccer, baseball, track...etc

    I also pitch and when most people say you have a strong arm they're actually getting it wrong cause the legs throw the ball.

    So while deadlifts are important they dont come close to what the squat can do for you.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSprinter
    All I can tell you is that IMHO the squat is THE most important exercise for pretty much all sports. Football, soccer, baseball, track...etc

    I also pitch and when most people say you have a strong arm they're actually getting it wrong cause the legs throw the ball.

    So while deadlifts are important they dont come close to what the squat can do for you.
    I squat 320 and have run 10.94. When I was only able to squat 285 I was running the same times. In high school I was only able to squat 225 and ran 10.7 hand time.
    Weight rooms exercises do not always have direct correlation to sprint times. They are non specific mean of development. I think his squat is fine. Especially for a low box squat at his weight 395 is pretty damn strong.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by QUIKAZHELL
    I squat 320 and have run 10.94. When I was only able to squat 285 I was running the same times. In high school I was only able to squat 225 and ran 10.7 hand time.
    Weight rooms exercises do not always have direct correlation to sprint times. They are non specific mean of development. I think his squat is fine. Especially for a low box squat at his weight 395 is pretty damn strong.
    I understand everyone's different.
    But for me the only thing that increases my 100M speed is squatting.
    And the only way to improve my fastball is one-legged squats.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSprinter
    I understand everyone's different.
    But for me the only thing that increases my 100M speed is squatting.
    And the only way to improve my fastball is one-legged squats.
    You dont think SPRINTING will improve your speed?
    Practicing you fastball does't improve your fastball?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSprinter
    I understand everyone's different.
    But for me the only thing that increases my 100M speed is squatting.
    And the only way to improve my fastball is one-legged squats.

    mmmm i dont do squats, should i give up???

  10. #10

    squats vs deads

    many people will favor one or the other but before they do this and before someone claims the squat to be better than deads and vice versa is to answer the question: how do you perform them? what i am getting at here is the exercises although general can be performed in a way to hit different muscle groups. High bar, dual knee and hip brake squat versus a powerlifter/box squat focus. Differences are pretty apparent here.

    When squatting do you posteriorly rotate pelvis too much in deep position possibly causing thoracic spine to lose its tightness? this could be detrimental. I have seen some peole do this in the squat but their backs are very solid in the deadlift.

    The squat just like the deadlift is a tool but even though i like the squat better to perform the deadlift has a slightly higher carry over to sports. The deadlift starts with concentric as does the start of any sprint event. being able to generate the power from no movement is needed. The deadlift will assist anyone who is including the olympic lifts in their program more than the squat. If you have a guy who can pull 400+ then cleaning (assuming his technique is sound) 105-120 kgs will be relatively easy.

    They both have their place in the preparation of athletes but when it comes down to it, it will be individual. However in saying that, I feel a balanced program (posterior vs anterior) both exercises need to be implemented in some way.

    As for how fast I would think you can go, hmmm, tought to say. Quik is right with the gap. I know a guy who doesn't come close to any of my lifts (squat, full deep 365x2, deadlift 430x4, clean 105kg, bench 335) but yet is ahead of me at 60m.

Similar Threads

  1. Morning meets ?
    By Silencer23 in forum Ask Us.
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
  2. body vibration
    By Turkey in forum Recovery and Regeneration
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 03:30 AM
  3. Extrathyroidal Benefits of Iodine
    By Flash in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
  4. Foot plant
    By Sprrinter984 in forum Biomechanics and Physiology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM
  5. Weekend of 1-17-2003 Indoor Meet Results
    By Tom Green in forum Athlete Development
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •