Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1280

Thread: Chris6878's journal.

Re: Chris6878's journal.

Well each injury ive had in the past few years may have been overuse or just freak happenings. few years ago plantar fas (activated while running on a garbage track), last year right calf tear (ill assume from the increased number of rope skips I was doing), this year low back while doin deads and other calf last week.
    I actually try to keep track of volume and ive increased therapy. So it could be age saying I need to drop the volume even more. Maybe the 2 hi, 3 lo a week schedule.

It's hard to say 2hi vs 3hi is what you need without seeing the overall plan etc. A 3hi plan could work very well if speed is done on mon/fri and wed has weights with jumps/throws.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    It's hard to say 2hi vs 3hi is what you need without seeing the overall plan etc. A 3hi plan could work very well if speed is done on mon/fri and wed has weights with jumps/throws.
    Yea, I was considering the hi days being on the track running and the low one including jumps and throws...but your right, throws are still high, I just recover from throws/jumps much faster than from running.

Calf is coming along. Im able to walk normal again. Did two sessions of soft tissue work last week and self ems/ultrasound damn near everyday. THe first soft tissue session was hell. Damn near jumped off the table when he went in on the calf. THe second session 3 days later the calf was pliable and no jumping off the table. Now im doing strengthening exercises for the calf and stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    I struggle to think of anyone I know who has been successful in sport or business without taking advice from others. Particularly in a team working environment where they are typically energy sappers.

When considering the potential value of a coach or self coaching I ask a few simple questions:
    Does it have a rational overall approach - a focus on relevant speed work and recovery from that. Long to short or short to long, concurrent or phased. There is not necessarily an absolute answer but a rational approach must follow some form of consistent path.
    Does the training plan contain logical macro cycles. GPP, SPP, progressions etc.
    Does it have a consistent and logical micro cycle/weekly programme ? This might be something like 2 spreed sessions, 2 low intensity tempo type sessions and 2 strength sessions per week. I have always liked this `rule of 2`.
    Are volumes within these sensible.

Chris, if you are suffering from consistent injuries, have you evaluated your overall training approach ? Why not look for a training group in which some guidelines can be enforced on you. Are there any patterns in your training that recur and appear to influence the times at which you get injured.
    Good sound advice and thinking Oldbloke. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Well each injury ive had in the past few years may have been overuse or just freak happenings. few years ago plantar fas (activated while running on a garbage track), last year right calf tear (ill assume from the increased number of rope skips I was doing), this year low back while doin deads and other calf last week.
    I actually try to keep track of volume and ive increased therapy. So it could be age saying I need to drop the volume even more. Maybe the 2 hi, 3 lo a week schedule.
    Cant see any particular theme of repeated injuries that coincide with a certain type of training.
    May be general age related vulnerability/decline. I found the greatest declines in performance were late thirties and then mid fifties. Affecting both performance and capability to train.
    Something to watch out for is greater general stiffness and aches, IMHO they can lead to poor mechanics and consequent random injuries.
    Defining the issue as too much hi may be simplistic - it could the type of hi that creates issues. Accs, max V, speed endurance, explosive jumps. Combining max v with long SE (80-100) seems a particular issue for me.
    Some big lifts in the weight room (esp deadlifts/squats) can strain the system.
    Some runners benefit from less running tempo and take the strain off their legs with non running/circuit type tempo.
    Some masters get amazing results with 2 or max 3 big sprint sessions per week and nothing else of any type.

As you can see some of the above is fine tuning, some is fundamental programming and beyond whether it is 2 or 3 hi sessions per week. Answer has to be personalised so whilst I am a fan of properly structured phase programmes they need to suit you. It can take 2 or 3 years as a master before you figure out what works for you.

Cant see any particular theme of repeated injuries that coincide with a certain type of training.
    May be general age related vulnerability/decline. I found the greatest declines in performance were late thirties and then mid fifties. Affecting both performance and capability to train.
    Something to watch out for is greater general stiffness and aches, IMHO they can lead to poor mechanics and consequent random injuries.
    Defining the issue as too much hi may be simplistic - it could the type of hi that creates issues. Accs, max V, speed endurance, explosive jumps. Combining max v with long SE (80-100) seems a particular issue for me.
    Some big lifts in the weight room (esp deadlifts/squats) can strain the system.
    Some runners benefit from less running tempo and take the strain off their legs with non running/circuit type tempo.
    Some masters get amazing results with 2 or max 3 big sprint sessions per week and nothing else of any type.

As you can see some of the above is fine tuning, some is fundamental programming and beyond whether it is 2 or 3 hi sessions per week. Answer has to be personalised so whilst I am a fan of properly structured phase programmes they need to suit you. It can take 2 or 3 years as a master before you figure out what works for you.
    Agreed, one thing that cant get you hurt is more/greater recovery. Im thinking of going with a rotating type of training schedule with days where I might have days where i do nothing but flexiblity drills with speed sessions spread farther apart. But my random injuries are most likely due to age.

Recovery as a method of preventing injuries? Brilliant. LOL

I have become one of these guys. At age 27-28, I was able to do 2-3 sprint sessions per week along with 2 extensive tempo days, ranging from 1600-2400m per session. Over the years, I've found the tempo sessions to be too draining--even with low intensity on grass. When I was PRing at age 30, my typical week had 2 speed days, 1 plyo/lifting day, and one day of jumping rope and medball tempo. I occasionally would add some rowing on the lifting day. I experienced no drop-off in performance by removing tempo running.

I am currently 33 and have run into trouble each time I try to bring more tempo running back into the equation. Whatever benefits I may gain from this type of aerobic work seem to be more than offset by the negatives. It's really not all that regenerative; it's truly a workout as I find myself more stiff and sore in the following days than if I had done nothing. After learning my lesson this winter by pulling my groin a few days after some tempo running, I'm back on the 2 speed days, 1 lifting, and 1 jumping rope / medball set-up. When I run, I sprint. Every foot contact counts.

Delete, i thought Chris was posting.