Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sub max training for max results?

Sub max training for max results?

Discuss.

https://twitter.com/StuartMcMillan1/...97966712221696

Stuart McMillan‏Verified account @StuartMcMillan1FollowFollow
    @StuartMcMillan1

For those who think you have to sprint maximally to get faster - not once all year did De Grasse sprint at maximal speed ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Re: Sub max training for max results?

Did de Grasse got faster this year?

He did run a wind assisted 9.69, which probably played a role in the injury that cost him the world champs later in the year. I don't think they are telling him not to run at full speed in training, he just doesn't seem capable of reaching anything close to his competition speed in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarcho1 View Post
    Discuss.

https://twitter.com/StuartMcMillan1/...97966712221696

Stuart McMillan‏Verified account @StuartMcMillan1FollowFollow
    @StuartMcMillan1

For those who think you have to sprint maximally to get faster - not once all year did De Grasse sprint at maximal speed ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
    I would stay off the internet - just so much bullshit it make things worst and more difficult most of the times. Over many years of studying Charlie work and asking questions - I have the knowledge that I am very selective in what I read or coaches I talk with. Everyone is trying to become the next great guru!!!!

I don't get it.

What is the point of getting faster if you can't show up at the big meets and kick ass?

DeGrasse and his coach or coaches had a chance of a life time to beat the main man who has dominated for years and they blew it.

Yeah accidents happen and bad luck happens but why? There are a few things that don't make any sense.

How did you get injured in the time frame that you should be doing all things extremely carefully and mindfully with the greatest amount of caution? 10 days out you are basically going through the motions and waiting to run and get out and beat your competition.

Instead we really never got a answer did we? What exactly happened?

And DeGRasse isn't a struggling to make it athlete either nor are the coaches. Maybe that is the issue and problem. They now don't know they own privilege.

Awe what do I know. I just know what I have been taught and trained to think based on adding things up and what a crime for DeGrasse to have been out of the competition. And wow. Let's reinvent the wheel. Let's see the documentary on all the awesome things happening out of the camp where you don't do speed work to get faster. I want to read that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    I don't get it.

Awe what do I know. I just know what I have been taught and trained to think based on adding things up and what a crime for DeGrasse to have been out of the competition. And wow. Let's reinvent the wheel. Let's see the documentary on all the awesome things happening out of the camp where you don't do speed work to get faster. I want to read that book.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

hahaha

That post on twitter is from 2016 after the Rio olympics.

train slow to pull a hamstring when it counts during max v

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    train slow to pull a hamstring when it counts during max v
    I almost spit out my morning coffee reading this.

Sorry to jump in so late.

Stu clarified what he meant latter. I also saw him speak a few months after that comment.

Degrasse had a long NCAA schedule with a lot of races over the past year or so.

They felt the best course of action was basically to not mess him up at that point...make sure he was healthy and ready and trust the majority of training up to that point.

So they did many sprints on grass, a lot of work over wickets, etc. Fast "sprinting", but not spiking up and hitting fly's much on the track.

Basically by Stu's definition, on grass without competition counts as "sub-maximal". Same with sprinting over the wickets. He also clarrified that the only time you do truly max velocity work is in competition.

Just clarifying that they weren't doing tempo or repeats or anything like that.