Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Passion flower

Passion flower

Hello. Has anyone used passionflower extract of any sort to help with reliving anxiety and inducing relaxation?

I am thinking about using something like passionflower to help going to sleep better and activating parasympathetic nervous system more so that I can recover better between workouts.

I am hoping since this is probably more close to natural and not so artificial chemical as in medications that there won't be side effects that will affect training

Will use of this substance make me too sluggish for the workout next day? or will the effect disappear by the time I wake up so that it won't have any negative effect on my workout?

Anyone with experience with it? or any other natural substance to help with relaxation and recovery without negative effect on training?

Re: Passion flower

check out magnesium calm

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    check out magnesium calm
    So you mean natural calm right? I looked it up and it looks like it will help me relax the muscles better. I will have to give that a try. Do you know if it will also help relax the nervous system by activating the parasympathetic nervous system as well?

Do you know anything or have experience with passion flower by any chance as well?

Thank you.

yea magnesium will relax parasympathetic nervous system. That system kicks in when your calm and chilling, so anything that calms you down will activate it. Id think even weed also, which is why you see so many pro (football) athletes smoking it.
    Do know much about the flower. THis video has some good info about the nervous system

yea magnesium will relax parasympathetic nervous system. That system kicks in when your calm and chilling, so anything that calms you down will activate it. Id think even weed also, which is why you see so many pro (football) athletes smoking it.
    Do know much about the flower. THis video has some good info about the nervous system

Yeah I am so bad at activating parasympathetic nervous system. I'm so always on the nerve and can't shut things down. I need whatever to help me get it. As Essop said, the reason I got hurt and regressed and couldn't make it last season probably has to do with inability to recover adaquately between meets.

When I was only training, the stress wasn't as much so I usually don't have problem getting back to the baseline from the graph of gains (adaptation curve) after the stimulus (training), and sometimes even slightly beyond it for some supercompensation (though probably not as fully upwards as I potentially could've from a stimulus, which induces a small improvement) but stress of competition is too much and I never even got back to the baseline because my recovery isn't good enough. Of course I do my warmups, cooldowns, therapy, contrasts, set aside enough time to sleep, but if my nervous system is not adaquately relaxing during those times, the recovery isn't going to be ideal, though better than not doing any of those above.

are you taking zma? I take zma plus natural calm. Also, A nice beer will help put you into relaxation mode. I know Ben was a avid Beer guy after training. ALso, warm baths or showers, sex (even if you gotta rub one out) oh and melatonin.

are you taking zma? I take zma plus natural calm. Also, A nice beer will help put you into relaxation mode. I know Ben was a avid Beer guy after training. ALso, warm baths or showers, sex (even if you gotta rub one out) oh and melatonin.
    I don't take it all the time, but I have some that I do take. Thanks for the insight

An extract is not going to catapult your immune system into a perfect balance. I hate to inform you of this information.

Have you read this book yet? https://www.charliefrancis.com/colle...n-and-recovery

Have you read Speed Trap?

Did you know that any substance is likely not a magic bullet?

If you are looking to recover better and or faster between workouts there are series of things you need to do to make that happen.

Yes, Sleep is one of those things for sure.

What are the things that effect sleep.

Diet, Exercise not over or under, too much sugar or too much caffeine or alcohol consumption as it's both an upper and downer and it messes with hormones which are the ultimate regulators of your health.

Yeah sex can help and rubbing one out if your personality prevents you from the real deal. Thanks Chris for that.

But try to start looking at the whole picture. The big picture. Yeah Ben drank Beer but he was also running at speeds most will never see and getting therapy 3 times a day and doing contrast baths and acupuncture and you can't take small antidotal things that some do and pick and choose without actually knowing how the nervous system works.

Contrast baths are my favorite as most of you know and so are pool workouts in between speed sessions. You can accomplish a great deal in the water while also relaxing muscles that get beaten up from so much pounding on the track or in the weight room.

Diet and supplementation are very helpful but taking one or two things is not actually addressing your individual needs per say.