Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Training The Master Sprinter 35+

Training The Master Sprinter 35+

I was reviewing old training notes and templates and one template I really enjoyed and had success with was back in the fall of 2010.

Monday/Thursday: Speed, Mb, Jumps
    Tuesday/Friday: Total body weights
    Wednesday/Saturday: Tempo, Mb, Abs, Circuits

Allows the athlete to focus on one thing daily while eliminating all the fat. Most of the training sessions are fairly short. I think this template could work well for most master sprinters.

Speed volume was mod to high.
    Weights low-mod volume and mod to high intensity.
    Tempo mod volume (1000-1500). Long warmups..

Re: Training The Master Sprinter 35+

Would love to see other templates from other master sprinters....

/Here's the template I keep returning to after deviating from time to time. I started this around age 29, and I am currently 33. I hit all of my PRs at 30 (10.81, 21.69), was injured at 31 and 32, and am finally back running decent times this year (10.97 last weekend).

Non-Competitive Season
    Monday - Speed (accel and maxV), Lifting
    Tuesday - Jump Rope and Medball Tempo
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Controlled Speed / Special Endurance (e.g., 4x150m, 2x4x60m, etc.)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Plyometrics, Bounding, Lifting
    Sunday - Rest

Competitive Season
    Monday - Plyometrics, Bounding, Lifting
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Speed (accel and maxV), Lifting
    Thursday - Jump Rope and Medball Tempo
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Meet (100, 100, 200)
    Sunday - Rest

I used to throw rowing in the mix as another conditioning workout, but my proximal hamstring issues always return when I do. It hasn't been worth the risk, so I've completely dropped it now. I do tempo running occasionally just because I really enjoy it. However, it feels more like a workout these days than truly recovery work. I aim to make all foot contacts meaningful these days. Perhaps conditioning should become more general as you get older (similar to weights). There are many ways to train aerobically, increase capillary density, etc. I like the idea of doing so in a manner that stresses the body in a different way than sprinting.

While people may roll their eyes at my lifting scheme, I use the bearpowered approach. I simply deadlift and bench 1-2x per week. I never go higher than 5 reps in a set and never more than 12 reps in a day. I will sneak some body weight work in there (pull-ups, dips, muscle-ups, etc.), but I don't go nuts with weights. Other things I've liked include reverse leg presses and the hip extension machine. But I never squat nor do I do any olympic lifting. I'll throw a medball if I want to move more towards the "v" on the f-v curve. But, truthfully, I haven't found medball throws elicit much adaption. Rather, I look at them more as an expression of what I have (i.e., a measurement tool). I prefer training on the ends of the continuum (i.e., top speed and max lifting). Everything in between seems to rise as the ends improve. While I did write special endurance up above, I have to admit that I don't spend a lot of time doing that kind of work. It's really just less intense speed work usually (similar to the speed day, but with more volume at a lower intensity). The year I hit my 200m PR, I didn't run farther than 60m in practice for half a year.

Could you list a typical week in the Non-Competitive Season?

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Could you list a typical week in the Non-Competitive Season?
    Monday
    Speed
    2x20m 3-point; 2-3 min rest
    3x30m blocks; 4-5 min rest
    4x(20E/30F); 6 min rest

Lifting
    Bench (3x3x90%)
    Deadlift (3x3x90%)

Plyometrics
    Acceleration Bounds (2x8) -- before speed work

Tuesday
    Jump Rope
    5-Minute Warm-Up at 160 rpm (800 total reps)
    Intermediate Sprint Workout from Buddy Lee at 200-240 rpm (3x100; 4x75; 2x50)

Medball Tempo
    2 sets of 5 throws of 30 reps each (approximate 5.5 minutes of work)

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Speed
    2x20m from ground; 2 min rest
    2x(20E/20F); 3 min rest
    4x150m; 4 min rest (10m rolling start; aiming for 400m rhythm on backstretch)

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Plyometrics
    Skips for Distance (2x8)
    Skips for Height (2x8)
    Hurdle Hops (5x4)

Lifting
    Bench (2x4x85-90%)
    Deadlift (2x4x85-90%)
    Pull-Ups (2x12)
    Dips (2x15)

Sunday
    Rest

Highlights of my training and racing over the past 6 years can be found here: http://bearpowered.prophpbb.com/topic609.html

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post
    Monday
    Speed
    4x(20E/30F); 6 min rest

Lifting
    Bench (3x3x90%)
    Deadlift (3x3x90%)

Plyometrics

Tuesday
    Jump Rope

Medball Tempo

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Speed
    2x(20E/20F); 3 min rest

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Plyometrics
    Skips for Distance (2x8)
    Skips for Height (2x8)
    Hurdle Hops (5x4)

Lifting
    Bench (2x4x85-90%)
    Deadlift (2x4x85-90%)
    Pull-Ups (2x12)
    Dips (2x15)

Sunday
    Rest

Highlights of my training and racing over the past 6 years can be found here: http://bearpowered.prophpbb.com/topic609.html
    I actually did some work with Barry when I was preparing for my CFL tryout - probably back in 2005 - 2007 if I remember correctly. Good guy....

Solid training plan - hopefully Chris is taking notes... I also like a lot of the stuff Josh H did with his training on elitetrack..

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I actually did some work with Barry when I was preparing for my CFL tryout - probably back in 2005 - 2007 if I remember correctly. Good guy....

Solid training plan - hopefully Chris is taking notes... I also like a lot of the stuff Josh H did with his training on elitetrack..
    It's a pretty simple setup, but I have found that works best for me. I try to hit the most important elements with the highest of quality, and then fit the rest in where it can, without getting in the way of speed work.

I assume you mean Josh Hurlebaus. If so, I know him well as we are from the same area (Southeast Wisconsin). We discuss training ideas on a weekly basis. He has definitely given me good advice over the years. My 100m PR actually came when racing him. I just tried by best to hold on (he went 10.61 to my 10.81 that day).

Monday
    Speed
    4x(20E/30F); 6 min rest

Lifting
    Bench (3x3x90%)
    Deadlift (3x3x90%)

Plyometrics

Tuesday
    Jump Rope

Medball Tempo

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Speed
    2x(20E/20F); 3 min rest

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Plyometrics
    Skips for Distance (2x8)
    Skips for Height (2x8)
    Hurdle Hops (5x4)

Lifting
    Bench (2x4x85-90%)
    Deadlift (2x4x85-90%)
    Pull-Ups (2x12)
    Dips (2x15)

Sunday
    Rest

Just for a change, you might want to do running in place at varying intensities as a substitute for jump rope sometimes. I've been doing these recently & have found them really good when the weather is too bad to run outside & they made me realize how deconditioned both my aerobic system and hip flexors had become!

How is your proximal hamstring feeling now? Do you do any special remedial exercises to prevent future recurrences such as single leg bridges (both isometric & isotonic), single leg planks, hamstring razor curls, slow eccentric glute ham raises, eccentric supine hamstring curls (hamstring slides), eccentric reverse treadmill etc.? I have kept all these exercises in because I believe they help a lot in reducing the chance of future proximal hamstring injury. I must admit that it is annoying to have to keep up these exercises because they take up a lot of time. I still have discomfort with some of these exercises, so therefore don't think it's a good idea to sprint at top speed since sprinting puts the hamstrings under much greater stress than any of these exercises do.
    Are you able to perform all the above exercises with no discomfort (not necessarily pain) now?

Do you older guys find tempo work much more challenging than you did when you were younger compared with high intensity work? As I've got older, I've really struggled with workouts such as 6 x 200m @ 70-75% with short recovery. A workout like that will make me feel completely wrecked & drained of energy for at least the next 2 days, whereas accelerations & max speed work and low volume heavy weights are very easy for me to recover from.

It's a pretty simple setup, but I have found that works best for me. I try to hit the most important elements with the highest of quality, and then fit the rest in where it can, without getting in the way of speed work.

I assume you mean Josh Hurlebaus. If so, I know him well as we are from the same area (Southeast Wisconsin). We discuss training ideas on a weekly basis. He has definitely given me good advice over the years. My 100m PR actually came when racing him. I just tried by best to hold on (he went 10.61 to my 10.81 that day).
    Good stuff.