Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coach Ange's blog

Coach Ange's blog

Have any of you tried the salad I posted on one of my blogs? It's a kale salad with parmesan and roasted chicken.

I used to eat tons more beef and stopped eating as much and wanted to start gathering more of my total calories and protein from sources in addition but not excluding meat.

I also posted the recipe and photo on the charliefrancis Facebook page if you want the recipe. https://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs...reat-nutrition

Re: Coach Ange's blog

Gonna try it this summer when i have more time.

I amp'd up my smoothie game again after listening to you at the WSS. I was a smoothie lover but I got lazy making my own.
    Have you ever tried Dr Smoothie? I use their stuff. 100% fruit mixes. I usually drink them for breakfast.
    I try different fruits mixes but I always throw in some coconut, peanut butter, protein powder, walnuts and whatever else i have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    I amp'd up my smoothie game again after listening to you at the WSS. I was a smoothie lover but I got lazy making my own.
    Have you ever tried Dr Smoothie? I use their stuff. 100% fruit mixes. I usually drink them for breakfast.
    I try different fruits mixes but I always throw in some coconut, peanut butter, protein powder, walnuts and whatever else i have around.
    Breakfast is overrated...

I just looked up Dr. Smoothie. A great idea.

My own evolution regarding supplementation began when I first started training with seriousness and vitamins made a big improvement in how I felt but the big issue for me was I ran into digestion issues.

I tried to trouble shoot those issues by crushing tablets and that was disgusting.

Musashi came along and it was power, free form amino acids which were amazing and less disgusting than anything else I had been doing but it was still pretty hard core.

When Charlie was diagnosed I bought a serious juicer and began making veggie juices with spinach and carrot and beet greens and that was AMAZING without any doubt. The issue there was the volume of ingredients, keeping them fresh, cost overall and cleaning the machine was insane. I did it and I even got the Charles man to drink them. Add apple to most juices and carrot and they are actually delicious for those who want chocolate sauce and ice cream included with all things. ( yes, I am serious)

So here I am today and I've found the best way for me to daily boost myself or insure my nutrition is top notch is with self made fresh smoothies.

I get why dr. smoothie is appealing but the powder taste is a big turn off for me. Don't get me wrong. Kale and straight cocoa and beet greens can really make your smoothie look bad and possibly make it taste like saw dust. But I have now enough experience of what add ins effect the taste and how that I can mostly control the outcome.

The creators of Roots Athletic wear live in my hood and their recent venture is a live juice bar. They are spending 5 k a month for a tiny space around the corner and turning out juices in small sizes and charging up wards of 10 plus for each concoction. It's filtered a lot to ensure "taste" and sure it's tasty but I want the fiber and protein and all of the other benefits. No one would like how my shakes look except the people I make them for who know what they are like and have come to appreciate all the benefits.

I'll stick with my coconut oil and yams.......)

Most of my shakes include the following.

1.Always protein of some sort and I've experimented with egg but don't recommend raw egg for all sorts of reasons.
    2. raw peeled ginger
    3. fresh squeezed lemon ( recently been doing the squeezing of 2 to 3 days worth of lemons to save time and clean up)
    4. roibos tea cooled or water and sometimes pure pineapple juice or apple cider or pomegranate juice NOT from concentrate to add liquid / taste or volume
    5. flax seed raw but you need to use Blendtex or Vitamix as most blenders will NOT crush flax seed and if Flax is not crushed it goes right through you without benefit
    6. sometimes chai seed but chai adds a lot of thickness with small amounts so I don't use it much or often unless I am looking for thickness
    7. greens in from of kale, beet greens, collard greens, broccoli, cucumber ( has a fresh taste with cilantro can be really lovely) spinach , rapini
    8. cocoa for it's neurotransmitter qualities ( it's powerful so don't need to use much and the taste or flavor might overpower other tastes
    9. fresh or frozen fruit. ( if you use fresh you might want to add ice as I don't like shakes that are room temperature or warm and ice adds fresh taste ) banana and straw berries are easy and really good in shakes. Blueberry makes shake very thick and hard to drink so might need to add more water or other liquid
    Extras I like adding coconut milk if i am doing a pineapple and banana/ I also like almond butter but it's expensive but an excellent form of fat and protein and fiber
    recently been upping the amount of my good fats in flax seed oil in addition to UDO"s choice oil.

Great article here to check out.

https://www.charliefrancis.com/pages/about-us

Thinking about you today Ange.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Most of my shakes include the following.

1.Always protein of some sort and I've experimented with egg but don't recommend raw egg for all sorts of reasons.
    2. raw peeled ginger
    3. fresh squeezed lemon ( recently been doing the squeezing of 2 to 3 days worth of lemons to save time and clean up)
    4. roibos tea cooled or water and sometimes pure pineapple juice or apple cider or pomegranate juice NOT from concentrate to add liquid / taste or volume
    5. flax seed raw but you need to use Blendtex or Vitamix as most blenders will NOT crush flax seed and if Flax is not crushed it goes right through you without benefit
    6. sometimes chai seed but chai adds a lot of thickness with small amounts so I don't use it much or often unless I am looking for thickness
    7. greens in from of kale, beet greens, collard greens, broccoli, cucumber ( has a fresh taste with cilantro can be really lovely) spinach , rapini
    8. cocoa for it's neurotransmitter qualities ( it's powerful so don't need to use much and the taste or flavor might overpower other tastes
    9. fresh or frozen fruit. ( if you use fresh you might want to add ice as I don't like shakes that are room temperature or warm and ice adds fresh taste ) banana and straw berries are easy and really good in shakes. Blueberry makes shake very thick and hard to drink so might need to add more water or other liquid
    Extras I like adding coconut milk if i am doing a pineapple and banana/ I also like almond butter but it's expensive but an excellent form of fat and protein and fiber
    recently been upping the amount of my good fats in flax seed oil in addition to UDO"s choice oil.
    I hadn't been on the site for a while and was surfing around when I came across this, and the kale salad above. Can't wait to try both
    Ange, is there a thread devoted to these tasty recipes that you could point me too?

This is a one of my favorites borrowed from Ben Pakulski that he calls Morning Glory
    Ingredients:
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    1 banana
    ½ pomegranate
    2 tablespoons organic yogurt
    1 cup spinach
    ½ avocado
    filtered water