Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35

Thread: Experiment in progress.

Re: Experiment in progress.

Decent day.
    Athlete X come 4th in national final equaling personal best.
    Drive phase wasn't as good as I was hoping for. So, definitely room for improvement.
    Athlete Y, I decided that Athlete Y needs more racing as we were running out of time before national.
    Last two weeks were quite good, I am very pleased and quite optimistic about tomorrow. Athlete finally showed what I was looking for, stability and rhythm.
    However, today when arrived at the stadium one of so called top level coaches came to Athlete and said "focus, people are watching you" WTF?!!! Perfect way to make the relatively inexperienced athlete nervous.
    I was fuming!!! Had to talk to the guy for 30min to calm him down.
    Never been nervous, yesterday had outstanding session, now anxiety going through the roof cause some harmless comment. Very disappointing, especially taking into the fact that I know the coach and usually he's not doing such a stupid things.
    Whatever, fifteen hours to go.
    I think we'll be alright.
    We'll see.

On the way from competition.
    Coming home with gold.
    At the end kept the anxiety under control, just about. Heats, gone smoothly SB, in final, had to work very hard on the last 4 hurdles.
    Anyway, job done.

Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Decent day.
    Athlete X come 4th in national final equaling personal best.
    Drive phase wasn't as good as I was hoping for. So, definitely room for improvement.
    Athlete Y, I decided that Athlete Y needs more racing as we were running out of time before national.
    Last two weeks were quite good, I am very pleased and quite optimistic about tomorrow. Athlete finally showed what I was looking for, stability and rhythm.
    However, today when arrived at the stadium one of so called top level coaches came to Athlete and said "focus, people are watching you" WTF?!!! Perfect way to make the relatively inexperienced athlete nervous.
    I was fuming!!! Had to talk to the guy for 30min to calm him down.
    Never been nervous, yesterday had outstanding session, now anxiety going through the roof cause some harmless comment. Very disappointing, especially taking into the fact that I know the coach and usually he's not doing such a stupid things.
    Whatever, fifteen hours to go.
    I think we'll be alright.
    We'll see.
    Do you remember the discussion about this very topic in Speed Trap and other threads? Charlie has spoken at length about other coaches interfering with athletes that are not "there athletes". I saw this first hand in the high school level. Apparently it was okay for other coaches to have what I will describe as a free for all with "my" athletes and information they felt was relevant. In my view this speaks very poorly of the lack of professionalism within coaching in general. A void of standards that any of us might allow if we do the same. As a coach you have to play a strong offense and train your athletes to block out outside anything that does not comply with a plan that has been practiced routinely over the lead in and duration of the season.
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 6 Days Ago at 12:09 PM.